Friday, April 24, 2009

SLC Half Marathon!

Here is all the 1/2 Marathon Crew (Except for Evan who did the full Marathon)  Wish I could say all the 1/2 Marathoners came in at the same time, but I just could not keep up with Leah and Spencer.  

We woke up bright and early to be in the lobby by 5am.  My friend Jeff also met us and road up with us to the starting line.  My brothers hooked him up with some manly nipple tape.  (Did you see that Office episode?  You will know what I mean when I say it is very important to a guy to make sure they are protected!)  

Spencer Leah and I managed to stay together the first 10 miles, (Jeff took off like a speeding bullet and did not see him until the next morning!)  and then after that, Leah kinda well.. pulled ahead and beat me by 5 min or more!   I did however reach a couple of my goals.  First was to run the whole way, (I could walk through the water stations)   and second was to beat my time.  I managed to shave off almost a full half hour from last year. I just hope I can do the same next year!  The last mile was tough, but as I crossed the finish line, there was Matt with a big Diet Coke and a smile!  It was so nice to see him and my family cheering me on.  Everyone asks me why people run that much when it hurts sooooo bad.....Well, there is this magical moment as your achy blistered feet hit their final steps.   Your heart pounds and your body wants to smile, burst into tears, and fall over and die all at one time. It is the most amazing feeling in the whole world, especially when there are people that love you at the end cheering you on.  
Thanks Mom and Dad, Chase, Tami, (her sis Ang who took some pictures)  Mike and Sharla and little Britton for being the best "Athletic Supporters"  (waahaaa)  Matt, thank you for being there for me at the end with an icy cold drink and the best darn donut in the world!  Nothing tasted sooo good!  


The Running Crew! Even Meza did the Kids race and did really well!  Congrats to Abbey for beating her uncle Hy in the 5k!!
The Johnson Running Girls.  I think we need to start a club!  
Matt being such a good sport!

The 5k Crew, HY, Chandler and Abbey!

1 comment:

amy morgan said...

Great Job! And how much do I LOVE that you mentioned the 'nipple tape'!!! One of my favorite episodes. . .
Although, I must say - - unless a bear is chasing you, I just don't understand the running ;) BUT, I'm still impressed!